Christmas in New Zealand isn’t like Christmas in the Northern Hemisphere. Forget about snowflakes and eggnog; here, Christmas signals beaches and barbecues, crimson pohutukawa in bloom, and wearing jandals to the office.
No one does Christmas Markets quite like the Europeans do, but seasonal markets do exist down under. So if you’re in New Zealand these holidays, here’s a roundup of markets taking place this silly season.
Featherston Christmas Market – Wairarapa
- When: December 12, 3pm-8pm
- Where: Fitzherbert St, Featherston
The Christmas market in Featherston is a local tradition, riffing on European Christmas markets and blending it with some Kiwi flavour. Four stages along the main street will host a range of live performances while local individuals and businesses showcase their wares in the market. Most of the local retail stores will also be staying open into the night, keeping the buzz going.
- When: Saturdays and Sundays during December, 10am-4pm
- Where: Underneath Frank Kitts Park, Jervois Quay, Wellington waterfront
Wellington’s Underground Market is the place to go for creative crafty products, and that’s especially true of its Christmas editions. With more than 85 hand-picked stalls and festive entertainment, you’re bound to find some one-of-a-kind gifts here.
- When: December 15-20, 11am-7pm
- Where: Thistle Hall Gallery, 293 Cuba St, Te Aro
A whole week of Christmas markets? It’s true: here’s 6 days of shopping on offer, with gear from local indie creatives. It’s the place to pick up decorations, homewares, jewellery and accessories, even cards and calendars, from just $5.
- When: December 19, 3pm-8pm
- Where: The Hidden Sculpture Garden, 4854 Motueka Valley Highway, Tapawera, Nelson
Entry is $2 to this country Christmas fair. Wander through the bucolic setting and the big permanent ‘gift barn’. To augment the stalls of handmade crafts, clothing, jewellery, books, toys, Christmas decorations and more, there’ll be live music on the day to provide atmosphere.
- When: December 1 & 2, 2pm-10pm
- Where: Awapuni Racecourse, Racecourse Rd, Palmerston North
The Magic of Christmas shopping extravaganza is pulling together contemporary artists, indie producers, and local businesses. From cupcakes to coffee and homewares to apparel, there will be more than 90 curated stalls of gourmet edibles and crafty goods, set to live music on the night and with a gift wrapping station to take care of the hard yards for you. Entry is $5 (which also gets you raffle prize entry) with a percentage of door sales going to Arohanui Hospice. Ticket options also include pre-paid afternoon tea or dessert and bubbles packages.
Browns Bay Christmas Family & Market Day – Auckland
- When: Saturday 5 December 11:00am – 6:00pm
- Where: Phoenix Plaza, Inverness Rd, Auckland
Starting with a Christmas Market full of shopping ideas and creative Christmas presents! Then followed by the always popular Christmas Parade & Carnival! Join in the spirit of the festive season and the thousands of visitors.
Christmas Market – Artisan Craft & Food – Aukland
- When: Saturday 19 December 10:00am – 2:00pm
- Where: Tamaki Ex-Services Association Hall, Cnr Turua St & Polygon Rd, Auckland
We have space for 30 stalls inside the air-conditioned hall… so you’ll find loads of gorgeous last minute Christmas gifts and tasty treats too – something for everyone! Pop over to our Facebook page for a sneaky preview of some of our fabulous participating stallholders!
Pt Chevalier Kids Only XMAS Market – Auckland
- When: Saturday 5 December 2015 9:00am – 1:00pm
- Where: Western Springs Community Garden, 956 Great North Road, Auckland
The mission of the Pt Chev Kids Market is to provide a place where kids of all ages can create, sell and learn in a market setting. Come down and see how creative our children can be. There will be Kids Clothing, Toys, Baking, Books, Games and much much more on display.
Christmas Twilight Market – Auckland
- When: Friday 11 December 2015 5:00pm – 9:00pm
- Where: Orewa Square, 360 Hibiscus Coast Hwy, Auckland
A very special night for everyone with craft and food stalls, music and lanterns, delivered by My Markets and Destination Orewa Beach. With fabulous gift & food stalls, buy your Christmas Presents locally and support the crafty community.
Christmas Twilight Fete – Cust
- When: Friday 4 December 2015 5:00pm – 8:00pm
- Where: West Eyreton Domain 1629 North Eyre Road, Cust
Don’t get your tinsel in a tangle – we’ve got you covered for all your Christmas gift-giving needs! We have lots of entertainment to keep the kids occupied while you shop and enough food to satisfy the fussiest tummies. We also have garden art, jewellery, homewares, clothing, wooden products, handmade soaps, Christmas cards, food and so much more. Keep an eye on our Facebook page for updates on stallholders and all Fete related news.