Belize has a temperate climate with two seasons. The rainy season lasts from June to November with rainfall averaging 150cm in the north and 41cm in the south. The coastal regions average temperatures of 27 degrees, but it cools down much more in the hills with an average temperature of 21 degrees.
When to fly to Belize
High season in Belize is from late-November to late-April, the dry season.
May to November is rainy season and hurricane season. However, hotel prices and flights are significantly lower during this time and cheap flights to Belize are easier to come by. Historically, most hurricanes occur in August and October.
Getting around Belize
The best way to get around is by car and all major car hire companies are represented there but it’s cheaper to reserve a car before arriving.
Another great way to get around is by commuter plane - Maya Island Air and Tropic Air are the main domestic carriers.
All of the major tourist destinations are served by buses which are more commonly used by the locals.
Belize insider information
- See the country’s most elusive animals including tapirs, pumas and howler monkeys at the Belize Zoo in Belize City.
- Visit the beautiful beaches and coral reef in Caye Caulker, the small coral island. There’s a small channel - the Split - running down the middle of the island which is a great place to relax, sunbathe or enjoy a picnic. Snorkel, dive or take an organised tour from Caye Caulker and spot dolphins, sting rays and nurse sharks swimming in the crystal clear water.
- The “Blue Hole” is one of the most stunning sights in Belize. This popular dive site is more than 300 metres deep and 120 metres across and has a cave system which is home to sponges, barracuda and angel fish.
- A thousand Mayan ruins are preserved throughout the country and the most impressive is Lamanai which is about an hour from Belize City. While there, take a boat trip along the New River.
- Keep a little back to cover the Departure Tax at the airport - $39.25 (US dollars) for visitors, although many airlines will include this in their ticket prices.